The Jolley Family

The Jolley Family

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Your TRUE Identity...It's Not Something You Can Google On The Internet!

Have you ever needed to find the definition to a word or research a certain topic ?  Nowadays, we use the Internet for everything.  The world is at our fingertips and we can pretty much learn anything we want from this incredible tool.  Type anything on google and you have a million references to research.   If you wanted to know the definition of a word, you might go to dictionary.com.  If you wanted to learn more about how something was made or how a civilization came to be, you might go to Wikipedia.com.  However, knowing your identity, your TRUE identity,  isn’t something that you can google on the Internet, and you won’t get a Wikipedia answer either. 
Knowing your TRUE identity is the accumulation of thousands of small choices that testify of the ONE, and that ONE thing is who you are. You are a child of God!  You have worth and depth and characteristics just like Him! 

Did you know that Heavenly Father knows you personally--by name?  You may not have heard the Lord call you by name, but He knows each one of you and He knows your name. Elder Neal A. Maxwell said. 'I testify to you that God has known you individually . . . for a long, long time. He has loved you for a long, long time. He not only knows the names of all the stars; He knows your names and all your heartaches and your joys!' ("Remember How Merciful the Lord Hath Been," Ensign, May 2004, 46)."

Have you ever questioned who you REALLY are?  Do outside influences cloud your mind and do you sometimes forget where you came from and why you're here?  How do come to know your true identity? It’s through patterns and habits that over time when exercised with faith and put into action become permanently engraved in your heart. You become like Him in thought, word and deed. You will come to know Him as you serve Him.  Your desire to be like Him increases, and your standards become higher, stronger and your feet are planted firmer in His gospel principles.  And then, YOU are living your true identity. 
How many of us compare ourselves to others?   All too often, we think we must be less of a person if we dont' have the same talents as someone else, or the same home or income or body type.  These are all ploys from Satan.  He uses these gimmicks to lead us down another path and that path is a destructive one.  He has so much to lose and we have so much to gain if we really know who we are. 

Several years ago, I participated in a skit at girls camp helping the young women understand proper texting  etiquette.  I played Politapee, a prudish English woman with an English accent, who was appalled when she went to lunch with a dear friend whose texting etiquette was HORRIBLE.  The audience roared in laughter and our acting skills could have landed us on America's Got Talent....for sure!  My friend, who played the other character wore a mullet wig and kept picking her teeth and talked in this hilarious raspy voice. She wore some psychedelic jumpsuit from the 70's.  She was rough and tough!  I wore a black wig, bright lipstick, a flower in my hair, and a horribly ugly blue dress!  For several hours, we were in character.  It was fun, but after awhile, I was ready to take off the itchy wig and dump the English accent.  I slipped into my tent and something very unexpected and yet so wonderful happened.  I began longing to be myself.  I was tired of playing a character that wasn't me.   I glanced in a mirror that was by my bed and began to weep.  I realized at that moment, how much I loved myself for who I am,  for my weaknesses and my strengths.  More than that, I had a witness given to me that I was indeed a daughter of Heavenly Father and  he deeply loved me.  It was an incredible realization for me.  I didn't want to be Politappe or anybody else for that matter.  I just wanted to be ME!  From this experience, I also had a desire for the young woman to know their true identity.  My sincere desire is for everyone to know who they are and begin living their true identity.  Not the identity the world defines you as, because we all know the standards of the world are constantly changing.  What was popular yesterday is out-dated today when it comes to defining who we are.  

Remember the who, what, when, where and whys of your identity and before you know it, you'll feel better about yourself and in the process others will feel of your light and love and do the same.  You will come to know the God that created you and will desire to more like Him.  What a wonderful merry-go-round of love that continues  if you decide to jump on board and hang on for an incredible ride.

Who-You and I and everyone in between.  You are a child of God.  You are loved and beautiful and talented!  You have the ability to serve and lift others to a higher standard. 
What-Become the change you want to see in others.  Serve, Love, Lift....all these words require us to DO something. 
When-NOW!! Don't sit idly by complaining about who you want to be. Start right now to make changes in your life that will bring you happiness and joy. While you're doing this, no one likes to work alone, grab a friend for the journey!

Where-Everywhere.  Opportunities exist all around us.  Dont' let them pass you by.  Change the way you view life.  One step at a time will lead you where you want to be.  
Why-Because you are AMAZING!  Because you are LOVED!  Because you WILL know your true identity.  I can promise you that!!  As you are patient with your own self, you will find that you have patience for others.  As you love yourself, you will find that you have love for others.  

1 comment:

Doralee said...

I love you, Tammy! Thanks for always inspiring me with your beautiful posts!