The Jolley Family

The Jolley Family

Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Chubby Trucker......our darling neighbor!


It all started on Saturday. I was on the phone with a girlfriend sitting at the bar in my kitchen. All of a sudden, I looked up and saw my cute little neighbor out the front window and I just started giggling!! I hadn't met our neighbors across the street yet, and I was a bit curious as to who they were. If you know me, you know I love people. I love to hear about their lives and be their friend. Well, after seeing this gentleman, I thought to myself, " I gotta meet this guy!"

In front of his house was parked a huge semi-truck, so I knew he must be a truck driver. First off, I am VERY grateful for truck drivers because they are the ones who sacrifice time with their families and are on the road to bring us goods all over the United States. Anyway, he couldn't be taller than 5'2" or so. How fun for me to actually look someone in the eye when we chat. He was getting out of his truck and was wearing nothing but an old pair of shorts that were obviously WAY TOO SMALL!! His cute belly hung over 6-8 inches below his waist-line and he probably weighed close to 300 lbs. He was not wearing shoes either. I dont' know how he was handling the cold and snow!! ( My hero already!).

He had some items in his hand, and dropped one of them. Much to my surprise, his entire bare bum was exposed....we're talking a good 6 inch crack!! My family came to see what I was giggling about and we all had such a good chuckle. We decided we had to meet our "chubby trucker"! He just looked so fun and intriguing.

On Sunday, we made our yummy chocolate/peanut butter brownies and decided to go across the street to meet him and also meet another neighbor we hadn't met yet. We got our snow gear on, and make the journey across the street. Well, before we even left, my youngest son was very excited to meet our "chubby trucker" neighbor. I cautioned him to keep our nickname in the family (you know what I mean....mum's the word) and off we went.

We had a blast sliding across the street as it was already iced over. What fun times! Our neighbor answered the door and her name was Tina. What a delightful woman! She was very happy to meet us and all of a sudden, our youngest son blurted out "Is the chubby trucker home?" I WAS HORRIFIED! "Does he not remember what I just cautioned him about?" I thought. Tina burst out in laughter and said Corey, the chubby trucker, wasn't home at the moment but would tell him we came by. Our youngest son was so confident and gave her the plate of brownies. I apologized for his comment and she just laughed. Thank goodness for her wonderful sense of humor...I like her already!!

I chatted with my son about manners and was grateful that our new neighbor and friend had such a kind reaction. Note to self...when creating nicknames, make sure they have nothing to do with body parts or weight...you never know WHAT an innocent 5 year old will say!!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh how cute and funny! I couldn't help laughing at Spencer's comment! Out of the mouth of babes!

Sheri said...

Man I wish you were our neighbor. I want some yummy brownies. I miss you all so very much, but I am glad you are adapting to the snow. Hey maybe you can walk barefoot in the snow before long,lol.

Doralee said...

I'm so glad that you have a blog. You are so fun and make me laugh. Something that I need to do more of.

Marlaina said...

So funny Tammy! I'm glad you went over to meet him.