The Jolley Family

The Jolley Family

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Pressing Forward.....Our Journey to Blackfoot, ID

You know that old saying "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade"?  I know this to be true.  This past year has been quite the roller coaster for our family.  Las Vegas has been our home since Chris and I first met in 1993.  It was love at first sight...well at least for me.  I immediately fell in love with his charm, with his calm manner, with his love for family, his love for God!  Sooner than later, we were engaged and then married in 1994; sealed in the Las Vegas Temple for time and all eternity.  I made up my mind immediately, that I wanted to live the kind of life that people I knew and met could find security and comfort in.  I wanted people to know that we were true to the gospel, true to our word, and true them!  Over the years, Chris and I were blessed with 4 children. We have experience much joy and many trials along the way. Trials are a part of this life.  It is through trials that we discover WHO we are, WHAT we are made of and WHERE we are going.

Have you ever taken for granite something so precious and yet you didn't know how precious it was?  That was us with Chris's job.  His job at Community Bank of Nevada had always been secure.  He loved his job and was there for 14 years.  He started as a Merchant Teller in their double wide trailer.  Years began to pass and he quickly moved up the corporate ladder and created the IT Department from scratch. 14+ branches later, Chris has done a wonderful job protecting the banks information and staying on top of all the Information Security.  He is VERY good at what he does.  He loves computers and we often would tease him about being the true definition of a "Computer Geek"!  Oh, how we love our sweet computer geek though! 

I remember the day so vividly!  It was after Chris had a very spiritual experience at Scout Camp.  He came home from camp, and said "Tammy, I think the government is going to shut down the bank."  He could see the writing on the wall and the signs that the Las Vegas economy was taking businesses to an early grave.  I refused to believe that Community Bank, with over 14 branches and over 350 employees, could be going under.  During this experience at camp, Chris felt at complete peace that no matter what would be happening in the future, he could find comfort knowing that the Lord would take care of his family.  Little did we know, that this ONE feeling, this ONE revelation would be the only thing holding us together in months to come!

About a week later, the government came in and did shut down the bank.  It was no longer profitable and there were too many losses and not enough profit.  On the spot, there were many who lost their jobs, lost their benefits, and lost their hope in life.  It was sad to see so many wonderful people's lives change overnight with NO notice at all!!  At first, we were very optimistic.  Of all the people employed at the bank, we knew Chris was needed the most.  Thank goodness for him being such a "computer geek"!  His value was proven immediately and the FDIC didnt' make a move without consulting with Chris first.  However, that feeling of security that a job brings was gone.

Naturally, we started to apply for jobs everywhere.  Chris put together an updated resume and was confident that something would come about in the near future.  Well, days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months.  He continued to be employed for the government as he helped them close out the bank.  It was painful for Chris to go to work and feel lonely, hear the silence and know that very soon the office which he had known for so many years would be empty. Each week, more and more people were let go.  He faithfully worked hard and we saved all that we could for the rainy days ahead.

As we eagerly awaited a new job, the reality that jobs were scarce in Las Vegas really set in.  The hope of phone calls to say "We loved your resume, let's set up an interview" or "You are exactly what we are looking for", never came.  We started wondering if in the near future, we would permanently be unemployed.  The thought of this happening to our family was devastating.

In the meantime, I was home teaching piano, keeping my children busy and taking them to and from activities and serving as Primary President in our ward.  At times, I felt overwhelmed and the complaining thoughts I had in my head sometimes surfaced into real words.  I was worried for my husband and my children; wondering WHAT were we to be learning from this.  It wasn't just us this was happening to though.  Many dear friends all around us were also faced with severe challenges from job loss, to divorce, to losing their homes. I started to wonder why so much distress, so much heartache.

My faith and hope that I always held steadfast to was beginning to diminish. The light that kept me going in hard times before seemed to fade.  I could feel myself starting to change.  I started to feel depressed, it became easy to magnify the faults in others,  I started wishing my situation were different and soon forgot  what peace felt like. 

Months went by, and no job yet.  We decided to broaden our search out-of-state.  Another month went by, and the only communication we had were from companies thanking us for applying and telling us that they had chosen another candidate.  One day, in particular, I began to panic.  "WE HAVE TO MOVE, WE HAVE TO STOP SPENDING MONEY"  and all the "we have to's" started up.  Where was my faith?  Where was the remembrance that through the Still Small Voice it was revealed to Chris that our family would be taken care of?  I had forgotten.  I was ashamed that I allowed myself to trust in the arm of flesh and not in a loving Heavenly Father who knew me better than I knew myself.

Prayer is a sure way to bring balance to an unbalanced life.  It is on our knees that we feel the warm love of a Heavenly Father who cares about us and knows of each distressed feeling we have, and longs for our communication so he can bless us.  One prayer can touch, one prayer can save, one prayer can change.  I know these words all too well.  They are the words to a song I had written just a year earlier.  I recalled these words often and decided it was time to stop sulking, and time to put trust in the Lord; to be faithful in word and deed and trust the Lord WOULD take care of our family.  My mind was made up.  The words to the song "Whose on the Lord's side who?" flooded my mind and I was determined to be on the Lords side.  To serve unceasingly, to be cheerful, to have charity, to love one another, to live the commandments and find the sunlight through the clouds! 

Soon after, Chris and I were searching for jobs again.  This one particular job stood out to me in our search.  It was in Blackfoot, ID.  I had heard of this town before and knew it was about 20 minutes from where Chris's parents live. All the requirements were things that Chris was very proficient at.  And, it was at a hospital!   There's definitely job security there.   I recommended to Chris that he should apply for this job.  It couldn't hurt us!  What's the worst they could say....NO!!  We had been hearing that word for months, so why not apply?  That evening, as we knelt down for couple's prayer, this quiet thought came to me that said Chris needed to apply for this job and that we would be moving to Idaho.  I told Chris my thoughts and he also felt that he should apply.

Once he applied for the job, life went on as usual.  Several days after, a gentleman called Chris from the hospital and wanted to set up a phone interview.  Excitement filled out home at the prospect of a job!  The day of the interview came and it went wonderful.  Chris and I soon found ourselves on a plane to Blackfoot to check out this town.  We earnestly prayed that if this is where we were to be that we would feel to peaceful feelings that we knew and had felt before.

We enjoyed our weekend there.  The weather was bitterly cold.  It was -12 to be exact.  None the less, we loved this quaint and beautiful town.  Everyone seemed so friendly.  The hospital staff were wonderful and his boss was very accommadating.  Let me preface that before we left for Blackfoot, I had researched and called and called and researched for homes to rent there.  There were only a handful of homes to rent and all but one were too small for our family.  I promised myself that I would have housing secure before we left Blackfoot, so I could come home and focus on packing up almost 20 years worth of memories!

We knew we had to rent for awhile due to us short selling our home in Las Vegas because of such a cruddy market.  We looked at the one home for rent and it was "do-able" and I decided I could live just about anywhere for a year and make it a happy home.  Chris had an uneasy feeling about this home, but we knew it was our only option.   After seeing that home, we spent the remainder of the day touring the hospital, meeting wonderful people and then prepared to attend the hospital's Christmas Party that night. One of the people we met was the CEO of the hospital.  His name is Louis. A very kind and visionary man, he came in 11 years ago and turned the hospital around.  Patient care is a priority to him.  He runs a right ship and is a very generous man.  I hit it off with him right away.  He really liked Chris and was excited to have him on board.  As we left the hospital that night to get ready for the party, we were very prayerful and knew that if this was meant to be, the Lord would provide housing for us before we left.  It didn't seem possible.  The only prospect was this rental we had seen early in the day, and Chris was uneasy about it.  I had, however, learned not to question the Lord and to also trust my husband as he listens to the Spirit.

The Christmas party was exciting.  We met even more people and really enjoyed ourselves.  Chris's future boss, Jack, finally cornered us and said "I've wined and dined you all day and you haven't told me yet whether you are taking the job!"  I thought Chris would say "Yes" right away, but he hesitated.  Jack asked again and Chris still hesitated.  Finally, Jack said "Do you want the job or not?"  I was standing there flabberghasted and stunned that Chris was taking so long.  If any of you know Chris, he is very methodical in all that he does.  He is very patient and exact in his choices.  I think he hesitated because he was waiting for that confirmation.  I think he was waiting for the Lord to give him the peace that he needed.  He finally said "Yes" and it was a relief to us all.

Instantly, my mind was already packing.  My laundry list of what needed to be done was being written in my head before we ever even left the party.  Ahhh, but we still didn't have our housing secured yet.  As we were about to leave, the CEO, Louis,  came to greet us and asked if Chris had accepted the job.  Chris said yes and I blurted out "but we have no housing yet!".  What was I thinking?  How rude?  I dont' know where it came from...it just came out.  My mouth opened and I started talking.  A well-formed habit I will have you know.  Without hesitation, Louis said "You can have my house!"  I said "No...REALLY...we have NO housing!"  And agian he said "You can have my house!"  He asked what we wanted to pay for rent and the deal was DONE!!  We couldn't believe it.  Louis called over his wife and she gave us the details on the home and the address.  They were moving out of that home and into a new home on the golf course.  They were just going to let it sit vacant and not sell it.

As Chris and I left the party, we were in awe!!  We got in the car and drove to the home.  We pulled in the driveway and thought we were mistaking.  We weren't!  This home was beautiful.  EXACTLY what I was looking for.  We sat at cried right there in the driveway and offered a sincere prayer of thanks to our Heavenly Father who ALWAYS watches over us.  What a true testimony that the Lord heard our prayers and they were answered.

The next day, we went to the home and took video and pictures so we could show the children.  The next 5 weeks went by very quickly. I felt the strength of Heavenly Father direct my thoughts and actions as so much had to be done to get us to Idaho. Saying good-bye to many dear friends was difficult and painful.  We were leaving dear people who had shaped our lives, who had taught our children and helped us experience many of life's wonders.  As we said our final goodbyes, we were on the road to a new beginning.  I think there is something to be said of new beginnings.  The word "new" in general makes me think of  fresh, reviving, renewing, alive!!  Having the opportunity to have a new beginning was actually just a new chapter in the book of life we are all writing. The trip to Idaho went  smoothly.  With two 26 foot trucks, the Suburban, and the Ford....it was Idaho or Bust!!!

So, to bring you up to the present day, we are settled.  We love this new town and the people here are great.  A few words that come to mind to describe our experiences so far are...happy, loyal, loving, kind, helpful, conviction, sacrificing and humble.  With each of these words are different experiences we have had.  We are excited to see what the future will bring.  We truly were led to this darling town by our Heavenly Father.  We don't know what all is in store for us, but this I know for sure...as Elaine S. Dalton once said "With the Lord, I can do ALL things".  I believe this to be true.

There are a few things I have learned through this journey that I believe have helped me to become a better person.  I hope it helps you too!
1.  NEVER COMPLAIN-it wastes time and is stumps spiritual progression
2.  ALWAYS FIND THE BRIGHT SIDE OF EVERY SITUATION-there is sunshine behind every cloud!
3.  APPRECIATE BEING SURROUNDED BY THOSE WHO LOVE YOU- cherish  family and friends  and never take for granite those who mean the most.
4.  RELY ON THE LORD-he will ALWAYS direct our path, even when you can't see what is on the path ahead. He has already been there and will give you direction!  Hold to the Iron Rod-tis strong and bright and TRUE!
5. EMBRACE YOUR LIFE-live it, learn from it, and ENJOY IT!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Tammy, let me just tell you that I love you! You are always such an inspiration and you always just make me happy.

Kathi said...

Tammy, you're such an insightful young lady! In so many ways, you remind me of your own sweet mother! What an adventure you've been through. It sounds somewhat like what Richard and I went through before coming to CA from Michigan ten years after we were married. We've been richly blessed for following the promptings of the spirit throughout our lives as so obviously you and your family have as well.
Great journaling, Tammy!

Doralee said...

Blackfoot is so lucky to have the Jolley family! My dad grew up in Blackfoot and my grandmother lived there until she passed away last year. You'll love it! I have a lot of fond memoried from Blackfoot,ID.

Rachelle said...

you are truly an amazing woman...I feel priviledged to have known you and have been touched by you and your family..I miss you