The Jolley Family

The Jolley Family

Monday, February 8, 2010

My Toothless DMV Wonder Worker.....

I guess when you move to a new state, you have to take a written test to get your new driver's license for that state.  I sure wish someone had warned me.  Coming from Las Vegas, the DMV is PACKED!  It's so packed, in fact, that you have to take a number and wait a good hour or so before your number is called. Then, forget it if you forgot some paperwork or if the gal behind the counter has had a bad day...because you will leave there having a bad day too!   Well, things in Blackfoot are a bit different and for that, I am very grateful. 

Have you ever had an image of what you thought something was going to look like?  Maybe after talking to someone on the phone you have never met and you get a mental image of what you think they look like and when you finally meet them, they look NOTHING like what you thought?  Well, that's what it was like for me and the Idaho DMV!  In my mind, I thought the lines would be long, people would be grumpy, and I would be waiting forever......WRONG!  It was such a better experience than I had expected. 

After FAILING the written test last week, (don't ask....I was completely embarrassed.  The clerk reassured me that it happens often, but I know she was just trying to make me feel better.  Well, it didn't work!  I should have just bribed her with $20 or something and maybe I wouldn't have had to wait a week to take it again....JUST KIDDING!)......I took the booklet home and studied.  I have been fearing this silly test for A WHOLE WEEK!!  You would have thought that if I didn't pass, someone was going to sacrifice my first born or something.  I was that scared. 

I decided today was the day, so I went in and took the test.  This time, I felt smarter and more prepared.  I skipped the questions that I didn't understand and then had time to think them through.  I passed with only missing 4 (and you could only miss 7),  but I left feeling like I had just one the Nobel Prize!!  Then it was on to the "registering my suburban" portion.

I went to that part of the building, which really was only like 20 steps from where I got my drivers license.  The line had 2 people in front of me....THAT'S RIGHT.....2 People!!  It was awesome!  When it was my turn, the gal behind the counter looked a bit grumpy!  I thought, alright....charm time!  So, I started out with a compliment.  After all, she was wearing a darling necklace.  I told her I liked her necklace and that seemed to break the ice....until she smiled!!  AHHHH....she was missing most of the teeth in her mouth and I couldn't help but stare.  It was like my eyes were glued to her mouth and it was VERY obvious!  I just couldn't stop staring.  Well, I had to stop staring or she was going to be upset.  However, she  melted my heart and was very knowledgeable about the DMV, in fact, I left there feeling like I could explain anything about the DMV to anyone.  She was just so darling.  People like her are the reason I love this cute town.  She may not have been a picture of beauty, although I did love her necklace, but her inner beauty that she had really did shine through. 

So, it's OK to be jealous that I only had to wait about 5 minutes in line and that my whole experience at the DMV from taking my drivers test to registering my suburban only took about 30 minutes.  Where else can you that happen to you AND meet the cutest toothless DMV Worker Ever? 

No comments: